March 2, 2020 at 1:26 am #10985Coach HarshParticipant
Can anyone decipher Don Corr’s email?
The Wrestling Advisory Committee met with the GHSA Executive Director, Dr. Robin Hines and Associate Director in charge of Wrestling, Don Corr. Many items were discussed including Reclassification, GHSA Duals Tournament, GHSA Sectional Tournaments and GHSA State Traditional Tournament. The committee spent six (6) hours of beneficial discussion of all items and below is a synopsis of what transpired.
· The Office determined that classifications 4A-7A qualify for Region status.
· Classifications 3A, 2A, 1A Public and 1A Private would be divided into three (3) Area classifications.
· Classifications 3A, 2A Public and 1A Public would be divided equally into two (2) classification (approximately 62-65 schools) and 1A-2A Private ( approximately 34 schools) would be a classification.
· The three (3) Area classifications would be divided into eight (8) Areas in each classification.
GHSA State Duals Tournament
· All classifications would determine the four (4) Dual Teams from each Region/Area that qualify for the Dual State Tournament prior to January 9, 2021.
· Each classification would have 32 teams advance to the Dual State Tournament.
· All four (4) teams from the same Region/Area could qualify for the Dual State Championship.
· The GHSA will have predetermined 32 team brackets, each Region/Area Champion will host the #2, #3 and #4 in their assigned bracket on January 16, 2021.
· The #1 will wrestle the #4 and #2 will wrestle the #3 in the bracket.
The two losers will wrestle but not advance.
· The two winners will wrestle to determine the team qualifying for the Dual State Championship.
· The GHSA seeding committee will seed the eight (8) qualifying teams in each classification for the Dual State Championship the Sunday prior to the Championship.
· The Dual State Championship will consist of seven (7) classifications with eight (8) team brackets on January 22-23, 2021.
· Other items discussed:
Utilize the above-mentioned format but advance the winner of the four (4) team bracket in the bracket and allow the loser of the last match to advance into the wrestle backs at the State Championship. All believed that advancing the loser into the wrestle backs was problematic and didn’t think this format was viable.
· Also discussed was having eight (8) teams advance to one site and wrestle until a champion and a true second was determined. Both would advance to the eight (8) team Dual State Championship. This format would have one team from each Region/Area of the State traveling to the predetermined #1 host. The committee thought travel and true second would be problematic. Also, determining which #1 would host each year caused issues with the committee.
GHSA Sectional Tournament
· The 2020 Sectionals had 202 spots in the brackets that went unfilled.
· At least one bracket did not have a Region/Area’s #1, #2, #3 and #4 in a weight class.
· The sectional brackets had 407 byes in the brackets.
· This points to the fact that we don’t have enough wrestlers to fill brackets for seven (7) classifications.
· The sectional format will be utilized since it is the best way to determine the wrestlers who should qualify for the State Championship.
· The GHSA will try to schedule two sectional sites (12 mats per site) for 2021 with each site hosting half of the boy’s and a girl’s sectional.
· The committee discussed ways to assure less spots go unfilled in sectionals.
· After much discussion the committee settled on a proposal for four (4) public school classifications and a small size private school classification which would eliminate as many byes as possible. One (1)
girl’s classification would continue. Under this plan the four public school divisions would be closely divided into approximately 80 schools per classification. Each Area would consist approximately 9-11
schools. This would allow us to maintain 16-man brackets for the state tournament. (This will be a proposal to the GHSA Executive Committee and requires a vote to pass)
· Wrestlers comparison between current system and proposed system:
Present Format: 2632 boys and all girl wrestlers qualify
Proposed five (5) Class Format: 2240 boys and all girl wrestlers qualify
Discussed six (6) Class Format: 2688 boys and all girl wrestlers qualify
Present Format: 1400 boys and 160 girl wrestlers qualify
Proposed five (5) Class Format: 1120 boys and 160 girl wrestlers qualify
Discussed six (6) Class Format: 672 boys and 160 girl wrestlers
Other items discussed:
· Utilized the new proposed Dual Region/Areas to keep the sectional qualifiers and State Traditional the same with seven state champions per weight classes but the number of wrestlers in each sectional qualifying for the State Championship would be cut from eight (8) per sectional (16 man brackets) to four (4) per sectional (8 man brackets). The committee did not like this possibility.
· Also discussed was a proposal for five (5) public school classifications and a small size private school classification which would eliminate some of the byes but not as many as possible. The committee discussed and determined that it would help some but would not solve the sectional bye issue.
GHSA State Traditional Championship
The committee discussed eliminating the following: “A wrestler who cannot wrestle (for any reason) at the State Tournament may be replaced by an alternate (from the same Sectional) at the time of
weigh-in. (A proposal to remove this from the Wrestling Section of the By Laws will be a proposed to the GHSA Executive Committee and requires a vote to remove)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.